EU/EEA citizens are not required to have a visa to enter Latvia. There are also additional visa-free countries whose citizens do not need visa to enter Latvia. However citizens of these countries may reside in Latvia only max. 90 days within a 6 months period, therefore, students are required to undergo a certain immigration procedure before or after their arrival to Latvia. The citizens of other countries need to apply for visa prior to their arrival to Latvia.

Exchange students are advised to apply for long-term (D-type) visa at the Embassy/Consulate of Latvia according to its territorial competence or, for citizens of visa-free countries, at the Embassy/Consulate of Latvia or at the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs in Riga.

Please, read carefully information about the steps you need to take in order to fulfill the immigration requirements.

A registration certificate is not necessary if the Exchange student who is a citizen of the European Union, European Economic Area States or the Swiss Confederation has a valid travel document and is planning to stay in the Republic of Latvia not longer than 12 months.   Other useful information:  

How to apply for a long-term visa (D-visa)?

1. See the list of countries that DO NOT require VISA to enter Latvia. If you are a citizen of a country stipulated in this list, you need to undergo the following procedure.

2. If you are a citizen of a country that is NOT mentioned in the list in item 1, it means you need VISA to enter Latvia and you need to undergo the following procedure.

3. If you study at a partner University in one of the Schengen countries, however, you are a citizen of a country that requires VISA to enter Latvia, (e.g., you are a citizen of Algeria living/studying in France with a valid residence permit issued in France), you need to undergo the following procedure.