Coat of arms

The coat of arms of the University of Latvia (UL) consists of a crown of laurel leaves and an oak inside it, with the Latin name of the UL Universitas Latviensis above it and the UL motto Scientiae et Patriae below it.

In its centre, the coat of arms of the UL bears a 12-branch oak that symbolizes the faculties of the UL at the time when the coat of arms was created. The oak is the symbol of Latvian nation's destiny, power, endurance and courage relating to the lines of the University's anthem: Just like eternal oaks that never wither / May all the ones kindling eternal fire be (Latvian: Svešs lai kā ozoliem mūžīgiem vītums/ Visiem, kas mūžīgu uguni kur).


The anthem of the University of Latvia was created in 1928, following the suggestion of the Rector of the University at the time, Mārtiņš Zīle. The author of the lyrics is the poet Edvarts Virza (1883–1940), the music was composed by Jāzeps Vītols (1863–1948). For the first time, the anthem was performed by the UL choir on September 28, 1928. During the Soviet era, the anthem of the UL was officially sung for the first time at the Aristotle celebration welcoming freshmen in 1988, performed by the choir Juventus. At present, the University's anthem is performed to honour all the solemn occasions of the University's life.

Līdzīgi saulei Tu atnes mums dienu,
Gudrību vērīgiem gariem Tu sniedz.
Celdamās augstāku pati arvienu,
Tautai Tu augstāku pacelties liec.

Latvijas slava un Latvijas glītums,
Mākslām un zinībām patvērums tur.
Svešs lai, kā ozoliem mūžīgiem, vītums
Visiem, kas mūžīgu uguni kur.

International student anthem Gaudeamus


The flag of the UL bears two symbols embroidered in gold on a dark blue silk: on the right – the large coat of arms of Republic of Latvia, on the left – the coat of arms of the University of Latvia. The University's coat of arms bears a 12-branch oak. It is crowned by a semicircle of gothic shields with faculty emblems. Below, the composition is concluded by the University's motto in Latin – Scientiae et Patriae.

The University of Latvia first had its own flag as early as the beginning of the 1930s. On June 17, 1933, the UL Student Choir Association asked the Rector to make the University's flag available to accompany choirs to the Estonian Song Festival, however, there is no later information of this flag.

The UL Council meeting on October 20, 1937 passed a decision to acquire a new flag. The University decoration committee was assigned to prepare for creation of the flag. The flag was made, its consecration was celebrated on November 16, 1938 in the Great Hall of the University of Latvia. The flag symbolised the unity of the University of Latvia until 1940, and then was handed over to the Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation. At the beginning of the 1990s, this flag was used an example for creating the new university flag, which was consecrated on August 30, 1991.