Spring Intake 2020. Call for applications
University of Latvia invites prospective students to submit applications for studies at the University of Latvia for spring intake 2020. Admission is open from September 10th.
Business Administration, Bachelor, Full-time
International Economics and Commercial Diplomacy, Bachelor, Full-time
Industrial Engineering, Bachelor, Full-time
Optometry, Bachelor, Part-time
International Business with specialization in Export Management, Masters, Full-time
European Studies and Economic Diplomacy, Masters, Full-time
Educational Sciences, Masters, Full-time, 1,2 years
Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries have to apply till 22.11.
EU and EEA citizens have to apply till 30.12.
Visa-free countries have to apply till 30.12.
Citizens from countries with additional assessment cannot apply for an indefinite period, please follow the information on the website for an update.
Before applying for studies at the University of Latvia, applicant should assess conformity with the following general criteria of admission (these can slightly differ for some bachelor’s/master’s/Phd programmes):
- Application deadlines: mentioned above.
- Enrolment documents:
- Depending of level of chosen study programme applicants must provide original of final diploma and transcript of records or final examination results in original language and notarized translation in English;
- Other requirements can be fulfilled during the application process.
Applicant’s educational documents (certificates and transcripts of records) must be suitable to enrol at a university in his/her home country, or the country where obtained degree is issued.
If the applicant is in the process of completing the last semester and has not received a diploma yet, application can not be submitted with provisional results from his/her school. The obtained diploma must be submitted for diploma recognition procedure.
If the applicant complies with these general criteria, he/she is welcome to proceed with the next steps and apply for studies at the University of Latvia.
The online application form must be submitted to apply for studies at the University of Latvia. Applicant must create an account to complete the online application. Online application form can be saved and completed in multiple sessions.
Please submit an application form only after all of the required documents are uploaded!
Applying for bachelor’s/master’s/PhD programme requires completed application form and upload of the following documents:
- General secondary school diploma/certificate in original language and a notarized copy in English (Applying for Bachelor's degree);
- Bachelor’s degree diploma in original language and a notarized copy in English (Applying for Master's degree);
- Two above mentioned and Master's degree (at least two year programme) diploma in original language and a notarized copy in English (Applying for PhD.);
- Transcript of grades or final examination results in original language and a notarized copy in English;
- Diploma supplement or transcripts of records (both in original language and a notarized translation in English);
- Motivation letter (if required);
- CV (if required);
- English language proficiency document (if the applicant is not a native English speaker and/or the previous education has not been obtained in the English language, if the previous education is obtained in English Skype interview with University of Latvia officials is mandatory);
- Passport copy;
- Residence permit card copy (if available);
- One photo;
- Medical report (applying for Medicine or Dentistry programmes)
For PhD: Successful pass of entrance examination where applicants will be invited to an interview via Skype.
Applicants are obligated to upload:
1) A justification and framework (3-5 pages) for the chosen dissertation (no specific form defined);
2) Filled out Curriculum Vitae available HERE
After uploading all the required documents, the applicant will receive the registration fee invoice (100 euro) and diploma recognition fee (41 euro). Application will be considered only after payment receipt will be provided, application fee is nonrefundable and does not guarantee acceptance, applicant can cover any fees only after receiving invoice for it or after request of admission officer.
Application fee must be paid till the end of the admission deadline, even if the invoice deadline passes admission deadline, application fee can not be covered after admission deadline!
Beneficiary: UNIVERSITY OF LATVIA
Address: Raiņa bulvāris 19, Riga, Latvia, LV-1586
VAT number: LV90000076669
Bank: THE TREASURY OF REPUBLIC OF LATVIA
Address: Smilšu iela 1, Riga, Latvia, LV-1919
Account No. IBAN: LV33TREL9150101000000
BIC code (SWIFT code): TRELLV22
Payment description text: Application fee, NAME, FAMILY NAME and DATE OF BIRTH of the applicant
NOTE: The applicant covers the bank commission fee for transfers, it cannot be included in the amount of application fee or tuition fee.
After completing the payment, the applicant will receive a notification from the UL coordinator, who will submit the applicant’s documents to Academic Information Centre for diploma recognition (the estimated duration of the process is 4 to 6 weeks), and to study programme director for decision upon admission.
After receiving the approval from AIC and programme director, the UL coordinator sends (via regular mail or email) the following documents to the applicant:
- Study agreement and appendix (3 originals) - two of which must be returned to the University of Latvia, third original stays with student till the graduation;
- AIC approval (if needed for visa or residence permit);
- Invitation (for visa or residence permit);
- Reference from the UL about the placement in the UL residence hall (if necessary for visa and residence permit)
After completing the above requirements, the applicant can proceed to Step 3
After receiving acceptance letter from the UL coordinator, the applicant completes the education document legalisation (certification of document authenticity). The documents (original diploma and transcript) must be legalised according to Hague Convention on Legalisation of Foreign Public documents. Legalisation of documents is not a notarial act. More information about process of legalisation is available here.
NB! It is recommended that the applicant completes legalisation of documents before applying for studies, and this task certainly must be concluded before applying for visa and residence permit.
Student Services assist international students in finding accommodation, if the students would like a place in the University residence halls. Students should apply for residence halls as soon as they have received the acceptance letter. Places in residence halls are limited, and finding alternative housing will take time. More information about accommodation is available here.
EU citizen must apply for the registration certificate in person at the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) in Riga within 90 days as of the first day of entry, if EU citizen resides in the Republic of Latvia for longer than 90 days counting from the first day of entry. More information about the necessary documents is available here.
Citizens of other countries, who need visa to Latvia have two options to apply for residence permit.
- The first is to apply for residence permit themselves at the Embassy of Latvia in their country of origin, or at the embassy of another country who is entitled to issue visas of Latvia. More information about the necessary documents is available here.
- The second option is to apply for visa at the Embassy of Latvia in their country of origin, or at the embassy of another country who is entitled to issue visas of Latvia, and after receiving visa apply for residence permit in OCMA in Latvia during the visa time. More information about the necessary documents is available here.
Citizens of other countries requiring additional assessment. The countries whose citizens require an additional assessment to receive a visa or a residence permit are stipulated in legislation. The citizens of these countries must apply for residence permit and visa personally at the Embassy of Latvia in their country of origin or at the embassy of another country who is entitled to issue visas of Latvia. The University has no authority to undertake this process. More information about the necessary documents is available here.
NB! If a residence permit issue has been confirmed by the OCMA, the applicant should obtain an entry visa at the Embassy of Latvia in their country of origin, or at the embassy of another country who is entitled to issue visas of Latvia.
NB! If the applicant’s residence permit has been approved, but visa request rejected, the UL will refund the tuition fee paid by the applicant.
ATTENTION! THE UNIVERSITY DOES NOT COVER THE BANK TRANSFER FEES, THESE MUST BE ADDED BY PAYER TO THE TRANSFERRED AMOUNT.
NB! Before applying for a visa or a residence permit, the applicant must pay the tuition fee for the entire first year of study.
NB! APPLICANTS ARE OBLIGATED TO INFORM UNIVERSITY OF lATVIA ADMISSION OFFICERS ABOUT EACH AN EVERY ACTION DURING THE MIGRATION PROCESS, ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACTION WILL IMPACT ON THE MIGRATION PROCESS AND APPLICANTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ARRIVE IN LATVIA IF IT IS NOT APPROVED BY UNIVERSITY OF LATVIA ADMISSION UNIT, UNAUTHORIZED ARRIVAL WILL BE CONSIDERED AS ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.
Upon the arrival after moving in the University residence halls or apartment the applicant should:
1) Visit Student Services to apply for the student card and receive guidance on residence matters, receive information (login and password) for the UL information system (LUIS). Visiting admission unit students must provide all original documents which were required for admission.
2) Visit the faculty to meet the study programme secretary, receive introduction to the facilities and participate in the orientation activities;
3) Register for the study semester, courses and sports during the registration week by using the University of Latvia Information System.
4) Apply for residence permit card or receive it at the OCMA office.
5) If necessary, in order to receive the residence permit – go to clinic for x-ray or fluorography and purchase health insurance.
6) Declare the place of residence at the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs and apply for a registration certificate (except non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, who should hold a residence permit/visa before the arrival to Latvia);
7) If necessary, open a bank account after receiving the residence permit card.