Vislielākais burtu izmērs
Lielāks burtu izmērs
Burtu standarta izmērs
Latvian Museum of the History of Chemistry
Last Update

Adress: Kronvalda blvd. 4, Riga
Head: Ilgars Grosvalds
Phone: +371 6 7322917

For Visitors

The Museum’s working hours: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 12.00 to 16.00. For more information and arrangement of visits call +371 67322917. 

The Museum’s exhibition demonstrates the history of chemistry in:

  • Riga Polytechnic (1863 – 1896);
  • Riga Polytechnic Institute (1896 – 1919, 1958 – 1990);
  • The University of Latvia (from 1990);
  • Riga Technical University (from 1990);
  • Latvian Academy of Sciences (from 1946);
  • The collection of varied chemical containers, equipment and Latvian chemistry books.

Latvian Museum of the History of Chemistry (LMHC) is one of the biggest natural sciences history museums in Latvia. It was established in the so called “Old Chemists Building” (the present building of the UL Faculty of Biology), built at the beginning of the 20th century as a laboratory for the Riga Polytechnic Institute. 

The professor’s office and private laboratory have been preserved from the beginning of the 20th century. The LMHC was initially founded on May 27, 1975 as the memorial office of professor Gustavs Vanags. It has expanded significantly over the past years. The collection of the museum contains more than 6000 exhibits about chemists, the study process in chemistry and the chemistry science in Latvia. 

The museum’s collection is available for researchers, chemistry teachers and everyone interested in chemistry and its founders. 

The museum's staff members research the development of the study process in chemistry and the chemistry science in Latvian higher educational establishments; the development of chemical production in Latvia as well as the scientific activities of a number of chemists. Many articles on these matters have been published. The museum frequently organizes colloquiums and exhibitions on the history of chemistry.