|Faculty||Vice Rector for Studies, Faculty of Education, Psychology and Art, Faculty of Chemistry|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|E-courses||2VID1015: Sustainable Development and Environment|
|Course annotation||The aim of the course is to provide in-depth knowledge of environmental science and its application in practical nature protection, to provide necessary skills and competences for sustainable and environmentally responsible policies development, implementation of these principles in practical environmental management at local, business and international level, as well as to introduce the basics of labor protection and ergonomics. The course provides theoretical knowledge of environmental science, pollution problems and its prevention options, ecosystem management and valuation, environmental health fundamentals, legislative aspects. The course introduces students to the principles of sustainable resource management and exploration, the circular economy in terms of energy and goods production.
The course is interdisciplinary and is focused on applied environmental science domain, which includes the gathering of knowledge and practical skills on the concepts of sustainable development and circular economics as well as provides insight in current environmental technology trends. Materials and energy used in production are perceived as an item - this course provides a modern understanding of their transformation from an environmental and sustainability perspective. Changing attitudes of society towards the use of resources and the evolution of production processes from a linear loop (industry, waste management) to a closed system where waste becomes a resource for the production of new products is important aspect delivered through lectures and workshops. Industrial systems are assessed and integrated with eco-systems to save primary resources and energy, optimize production, and implement innovative waste recycling methods, minimizing emissions and negative environmental impacts.
To achieve this goal, the course includes lectures led by trainers with experience in the field and guest lecturers working on environmental science and related sciences in a professional level. Special emphasis will be put on the students 'practical tasks, within them students will need to prepare certain groups' independent work (abstract, stand presentation, conference presentation, etc.) and the tasks performed by the students will be reviewed and discussed in the form of seminars together with the lecturers and experts, helping the students. better understand the thematic features and the most important aspects. Finally, the course will provide students with the ability to understand the basic principles of environmental and sustainable development and the skills needed to apply competences in specific business areas in which they will work in the future. The novelty of the course is competence-based knowledge of material flows and their processing, understanding of environmental assessment, material and energy flow analysis, life cycle analysis, multi-criteria analysis, cost-benefit analysis, environmental awareness in the context of the circular economy.
1. Knowledge of the basic principles of environmental science and sustainable development.
2. Knowledge of key environmental and sustainable development issues and solutions
3. The role of the individual as well as society in the key issues of environment and sustainable development.
4. Principles of nature protection and sustainability in everyday environmental management
5. Skills to independently develop and supplement knowledge about environmental and sustainable development aspects after the course conclusion
6. Further communication skills of practical environmental management and labor protection knowledge for the general public, representatives of related industries, journalists, politicians and other public administrators
7. Ability to present environmental and sustainable development, including knowledge of the circular economy in various formats and critically evaluate the information presented in the media
8. Skills for complex analysis of environmental, natural, economic and social problems, environmental situation in Latvia and Europe.
9. Acquired competences to identify risks of excess use of environmental and energy resources and identify sustainable conservation opportunities.
10. Competencies to discuss the basic principles of sustainable development, key challenges and possible solutions to environmental sustainability issues are being developed and argued on the basis of the knowledge gained during the course.
11. During the seminars, the skills to apply knowledge and skills and competences necessary for future business work are improved.
12. Will acquire the ability to understand the principles of environment and sustainable development and the necessary skills to supplement, renew and transfer this knowledge, to implement in enterprise and local government administration.
|Course plan||No. Theme. Lectures in hours
1. Introduction to sustainable development and environmental science. L2
2. Climate and adaptation to climate change.L2
3. Ecosystem services.L2
5. Human and Environment - Environmental Systems.L2
6. Environmental Pollution and Remediation Technologies.L2
7. Environmental Health.L2
8. The circular economy and the shortcomings of the linear economy. Crises.L2
9. Nature Conservation and Protected Areas. Protection of cultural monuments.L2
10. Environmental management: legislation, policies and institutions.L2
11. Environmental Engineering. Multi-criteria analysis. L2
12. Environment and spatial planning.L2
13. Revitalization of brownfields and the role of landscape architecture in environmental protection. L2
14. Future resources and opportunities for technological progress. L2
Two additional workshops (S2)+(S2).
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||
Group work (students divide into groups of 4-5 and prepare a presentation). Attendance at seminars is compulsory.
1st seminar - 25%;
2nd seminar - 25%.
The final rating is posted only if both the workshops are attended, group work is accepted and the examination has been successfully passed.
Examination - 50%.
Free Elective Courses
Occupational Health and Safety at Work