|Faculty||Faculty of Humanities|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|E-courses||Valo4252: Historical Grammar of Latvian (Morphology)|
This course deals with the historical development of Latvian. Its aim is to acquaint the students with the formation of grammatical system, with the interdependence of the language elements and diachronic functioning.
1.Students obtain the knowledge about the history of the grammatical system of Latvian – the origin of the parts of speech and their grammatical categories, main principles of the sentence structure.
2.Students are able to define and to analyze inherited and innovative phenomena in the system of Latvian.
3.Students are competent in the research literature devoted to the history of Latvian. Proto-Baltic and PIE.
1. The structure and functions of morphemes in PIE. Word-formation and inflection in PIE, Proto-Baltic and Latvian. 4 (L)
2. The nominals and their grammatical categories in PIE, Proto-Baltic and Latvian. 8 (6L + 2S)
3. Pronouns and their grammatical categories and declination in PIE, Proto-Baltic and Latvian. 4 (2L + 2S)
4. Verbal categories in PIE, Proto-Baltic and Latvian. 8 (6L + 2S)
5. Infinite forms of the verb, their history. 6 (4L + 2S)
6. The history of adverbs and auxiliary words. 2 (S)
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||
1. During the course student has to prepare successfully attested homework (10 point system) – the analysis the history of sounds and forms of two classical Latvian dainas. Homework contains 50% of total evaluation.
2. At the end of course - exam in written form which contains 50% of total evaluation.
3. Complete evaluation contains average mark of the test work and homework.
4. Attending of lectures and seminars is obligatory.
|Study programmes||Baltic Philology|