|Faculty||Faculty of Education, Psychology and Art|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|E-courses||Valo1478: English II Reading and terminology|
|Course annotation||The study course is aimed at preparing students to read professional literature and communicate in English.
Objectives: introduce professional terminology (themes: design, graphic design; computer design; photodesign, the history of art); develop reading skills; introduce reading types and basic strategies; develop students' ability to use the language in the professional environment.
|Results||Having successfully completed the course, students:
- will develop their ability to read special/profession related texts of different difficulty levels,
- will obtain text reading basic strategies;
- will get to know and apply into practice different strategies for reading texts: wholistic reading, selective reading, course reading, detailed reading.
- will be able to express their opinions using arguments, to ask questions, to discuss various topics related to art.
|Course plan||1. Overview of profession related text reading techniques.S 2h
2. Prehistoric period.Art . Work with special terminology dictionaries.S 2h
3. The Middle Ages Art in the Middle Ages. Vocabulary tasks.S 2h
4. The Renaissance and Mannerism period. Cultural centres and artists. Text.S 2h
5. Home reading. Leonardo da Vinci. Work with terminology. S 2h
6. T he Baroque and Rococo Periods. Work with terminology.S 2h
7. Peter Paul Rubens. Composition, painting, colour. Vocabulary tasks S . 2h
8.The period of Classicism and Romanticism .. Work with special terminology dictionaries. S 2h
9. Test. Text comprehension. Terminology. S 2h
10. The Period of Historicism. Terminology tasks. S 2h
11. The Art Nouveau Period. Old Riga, the Ring of Boulevards, the Central District, Pardaugava. Mezaparks.S 2h
12. Discussion: Art Nouveau in the world. Terminology tasks on Art Nouveau theme. S 2h
13. Discussion: Art Nouveau in architecture, furniture design, art and literature. Terminology tasks on Art Nouveau theme. (continuation ) S 2h
14. The Period of Classical Modernism and Neo – realism. Work with special terminology dictionaries.S2h
15. Home reading. Topic: Art in the 2nd half of the 20th century. Vocabulary tasks.S2h
16. Written exam. Text comprehension. Terminology.S 2h
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||Attendance, regular homework for each class (text reading with particular tasks, work with terminology, etc.)
2 tests ( 10+15%) and 2 individual reading tasks (special/profession related text reading),(10+15%) portfolio of collected materials. (10+15%)