|Faculty||Faculty of Humanities|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|E-courses||Valo1438: Arabic language for beginners II|
|Course annotation||The aim of the course is to teach the students to speak Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) fluently about everyday topics, while continuing the learning of basic grammar as well as the development of listening, reading, and writing skills.
The objectives of the course are:
1) To continue acquisition of Arabic phonetics and spelling;
2) To continue learning about the most basic grammatical structures of MSA;
3) To supplement the students' vocabulary by at least 400 words and phrases necessary for basic everyday communication (on given topics);
4) To continue learning the rules of polite communication in the Arabic culture.
|Course responsible lecturer||Jānis Priede|
|Results||After the completion of the course, students acquire the following:
1) know about 400 new words in Modern Standard Arabic [MSA];
2) recognize learned basic categories of Arabic grammar;
3) recognize polite speech, appropriate body language, and appropriate topics in Arabic culture.
4) pronounce most Arab vowels and consonants correctly;
5) write correctly letters, syllables, and learned words in MSA;
6) form simple phrases and sentences in MSA, using the learned grammatical categories;
7) use the learned polite language appropriately in the given context.
8) form simple dialogues in MSA, using the rules of polite communication (on familiar topics);
9) read, translate, and write simple texts in MSA (90-120 words, on familiar topics);
10) speak on a familiar topic for 1 - 1.5 min.
|Course plan||1. Work and study. Days of the week, times of the day, the clock 6(L) 8(P)
2. Shopping. Numbers. Money 8(L) 10(P)
3. Weather. Seasons. Calendar 6(L) 8(P)
4. Travel (Part 1). World map. Mobility 6(L) 6(P)
5. Travel (Part 2). Transportation. Airport 6(L) 8 (P)
6. The Hajj. Islamic holy sites in Mecca and Medinah 4 (L) 2(P)
7. Free time activities. Hobbies 6(L) 8 (P)
8. The human body. Healthcare. Visiting the doctor 8 (L) 10 (P)
9. Summer holidays. Excursions. City and country life 6(L) 8 (P)
10. Revision: listening and speaking. Translation. Reading and retelling a text. Essay. 4 (P)
L - lecture,
P - practical work
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||Obligatory attendance.
Intermediate assessment - 8 written and oral tests (80%):
Test 1: " Work and study. Days of the week, times of the day, the clock" (10%)
Test 2: "Shopping. Numbers. Money" (10%)
Test 3: " Weather. Seasons. Calendar" (10%)
Test 4: " Travel (Part 1). World map. Mobility" (10%)
Test 5: " Travel (Part 2). Transportation. Airport" (10%)
Test 6: " Free time activities. Hobbies" (10%)
Test 7: " The human body. Healthcare. Visiting the doctor” (10%)
Test 8: " Summer holidays. Excursions. City and country life" (10%)
Combined (oral and written) examination (10%)
|Study programmes||Asian Studies|