|Faculty||Faculty of Humanities|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|E-courses||Soci3003: Modern Society of Japan II|
|Course annotation||The aim of the course is to give the students advanced knowledge about the problems and perspectives of the modern Japanese society. The course will cover a wide variety of themes: family, education, work, leasure etc. There will be used different visual materials: DVDs, video, audio et al.
|Course responsible lecturer||Jānis Priede|
The course will provide with information on various aspects of Japanese contemporary society that will help students to make successful business, study or personal relationships with Japanese. Besides, during the course there will be instruction on the methods of research and information resources on Japanese society. Students will improve their presentation giving, discussion and independent judgement skills; will learn to locate certain problems in Japanese society, explain them, give examples, compare with situation in Latvia and other countries and on the basis of this knowledge make decisions.
1. Japanese traditional behaviour and psychology.S2h.
2. Japanese reception of foreign cultures, communication strategies.S2h.
3. Japanese family. S2h.
4. Women in Japanese society. S2h.
5. Japanese youth.S2h.
6. Elderly people in Japan.S2h.
7. Monarchy in Japan S2h.
8. Leasure time activities.S2h.
9. The city and the country.S2h.
10. Japanese and Nature. S2h.
11. Japanese dressing culture.S2h.
12. Japanese eating culture. S2h.
13. Japanese festivals, ceremonies, rituals. S2h.
14. Japanese popular culture.S2h.
15. Education in Japan.S2h.
16. Work and bysiness etiquette in Japan.S2h.
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||Regular attendance, active participation in seminars 60%, written exam in the end of the semester 40%.|
|Study programmes||Asian Studies|