|Faculty||Faculty of Humanities|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|E-courses||SDSK4000: Humanities Research Basics and Term work|
The tasks of the course are to develop independent and creative research skills. The student must show the ability to choose a subject adequate for his/her interests and skills, as well as to propose the subject for inquiry and to justify his/her choice. The student must attest his/her skills in work with the sources and the interpretation of theoretical literature. The skills are acquired during the seminars and are attested in the form of an independently written term paper. The conclusions drawn from the term paper must be systematized and expressed in good literary language of the scientific mode of expression.
Acquired practical skills and theoretical knowledge of research writing methodology in the humanities.
1. Characteristics of research in the humanities, the significance and tasks of the term paper. L2
2. Choice of subject, the collection and selection of materials, and the plan of the term paper. L2
3. Scientific language; layout of the term paper. L2
4. Formulation of the term paper theme, the acquisition of a theoretical basis, the selection of data, and familarization with the secondary literature. Oral report and discussion. S11
5. Elaboration of research data, the selection and systematization of sources, the collection of materials, and text analysis. Oral report and discussion. S11
6. Presentation of draft term paper (conception, plan, review of sources and theoretical literature). S4
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||
Seminar attendance – mandatory.
Presentation of draft term paper (conception, plan, review of sources and theoretical literature) – 10 % of evaluation.
Public presentation of term paper – 90 % of evaluation.
|Study programmes||Baltic Philology|