|Faculty||Faculty of Education, Psychology and Art|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|E-courses||PedaPI35: Teaching/learning methodology of EFL skills|
|Course annotation||The aim of the course is to give students an opportunity to complement their knowledge and improve skills in EFL teaching/learning methodology and to encourage them to improve their own individual philosophy of the English language teaching/learning methodology. The objectives of the course:
1)to help students to enhance understanding of EFL lesson planning (the procedure, aims, students’ achievements, teaching/learning resources); 2)to help students to comprehend specifics of teaching/learning methodology of EFL skills (reading, listening, speaking, writing).
|Results||Completing the course, students enhance understanding of basic principles of EFL lesson planning and specifics of teaching/learning methodology of EFL skills (reading, listening, speaking, writing), and improve their own individual philosophy of the English language teaching/learning methodology.
If students complete the course successfully, they will be able to demonstrate:
1. An ability to synthesize their previous knowledge in EFL teaching/learning methodology with new theoretical knowledge about specifics of teaching/learning methodology of EFL skills (reading, listening, speaking, writing), evaluation and assessment of students’ achievements and particular things teachers of the English language have to take into account when working with young learners.
1. Students have basic skills to plan an appropriate procedure of activities in a lesson of teaching/learning EFL skills (reading, listening, speaking, writing).
2. Students are able to find out and choose appropriate forms of evaluation and assessment taking into account the aims set in the English lesson plans.
3. Students are able to spot differences teachers of English have to take into account when working with young learners.
4. Students develop their skill to justify their pedagogical decisions and actions and to evaluate their work by using European Portfolio for Student Teachers of Languages (EPOSTL).
|Course plan||No.TopicType of classes
L, S, P, LwPlanned amount in hours
1.Activating students’ background knowledge and experience in EFL teaching/learning methodology. Specifics of teaching/learning methodology of EFL skills (reading, listening, speaking, writing) in EFL lesson planning. Getting acquainted with the basic terminology used in the course.S2
2.Developing listening skills. S10
3.Developing reading skills. S4
4.Developing speaking skills. S4
5.Developing writing skills. S4
6.Integrating the English language skills in lessons of English.S2
7.Evaluation and assessment of students’ achievements.S2
8.Teaching English to young learners. S2
9.Review of the course.S2
Total amount in hours:32
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||Attendance of practical classes-seminars is obligatory – 80% of classes have to be attended. Irrespectively of the reason, if 50% of the course classes have been missed, the course is to be repeated.
To successfully complete the course students have to actively participate in classes, have to do and, if required, hand in all independent assignments, have to get satisfactory evaluation in check-ups and the exam.
The final mark of the course consists of:
•independent assignments are done and handed in in time – notes on independently read materials and assignments based on it (10%);
•check-ups – plans of micro-teaching activities (with instructions and materials, micro-teaching activities and reflection on them (60%);
•an exam – a presentation of the course portfolio and an oral answers of one question from theory (30%).
The course portfolio consists of:
notes on independently read materials and assignments based on it,
plans of micro-teaching activities (with instructions and materials),
micro-teaching of one aspect and reflection on it,
evidence of the independent work with the EPOSTL,
additional materials on the topics covered in the course.
Teacher of the German Language
Teacher of Physical Education
Basic Education Teacher of English
Teacher of Handicraft and Technologies, Home Economics
Teacher of Culturology
Teacher of Primary School Education
Teacher of the English Language
Teacher of Informatics and Programming
Teacher of Visual Art
Teacher of the Latvian Language and Literature