|Faculty||Faculty of Humanities|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|E-courses||MākZ3486: Seminar in Theatre Criticism I|
|Course annotation||The aim of the course – to introduce the basic principles of drama technique which can be used in an analysis of a theatre performance. During the course the forms and genres of drama (comedy, tragedy, drama), as well as the main play-forming elements (conflict, action, dialogue, composition etc.) are theoretically defined and practically analyzed. During the seminars students work with a drama text of different kinds as the basic element of a performance.
|Results||On successfully completion of this course, students have the knowledge of the text as a significant component of the classical theatre, of the basic principles of the structure of drama. Students are able to independently analyze and evaluate drama texts of different kinds and their interpretation by various directors and in individual performances.|
|Course plan||1. Concept of Drama as a Kind of Literature and Text for Theatre. L2 S2
2. Dramatic Qualities, Action and Conflict as the Determining Elements of the Structure of a Play and Its Performance. S6
3. General Principles of Composition of a Play and Its Performance. S4
4. System of Characters. S4
5. Features and Functions of Language in a Dramatic Work. S4
6. Overview of Kinds and Genres of Drama. L2 S4
7. The Change of Textual Insight in the Theatre of Modernism and Post-modernism. L2 S2
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||Evaluation depends on the accomplishment of two tasks (in percentages):
1) Regular and active participation in all seminars - 60%;
2) Successfully passed theoretical (about the course content) and practical (analysis of a play) parts of the exam (final test) – 40%.
|Study programmes||Baltic Philology|