|Faculty||Faculty of Humanities|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|E-courses||LitZ2183: The history of Latvian literature form the beginnings till the end of the 19th cenury|
Objectives: 1) to give an insight in spiritual processes of Latvian society (reformation, baroque, enlightenment, the movement of New-Latvians and national awakening); 2) to analyze the history of Latvian literature as a united process from the point of view of theory of genres, trends and the impact of foreign literature; 3) to pay attention to Latvian literature as a part of European literature in the aspect of translations and impacts; 4) to master knowledge in literary theory and text analyses. Brief summary: Latvian literature as a component Latvia`s culture historical process.
Knowledge in Latvian literature from the beginnings till the end of 19th century.
Abilities to analyze a literary text in a historical and comparative aspect making use of the knowledge in literary theory and text analyses.
1.The beginnings of Latvian written culture: petroglifs, signs on stones and ornament2 L
2.The beginnings of literature in Latvian in the 16th century2 L
3.Poetry in Latvia till the second half of 17th century: protestant and catholic spiritual songs. Poems of dedication2 S
4.G.Mancel in the history of Latvian culture: sermons and dictionary2 S
5.The translation of Bible in Latvian: Jānis Reiters and E.Glück. 2 L, 2S
6.Poetry in Latvian in the age of baroque.S S
7.Enlightenment and Latvian literature: G.Merkels works as the source of Latvian national romanticism; J.G.Herder and the beginnings of Latvian folkloristics. 2 S
8.Enlightenment and Latvian literature: G.F.Stender. 2 S
9.Popular or peasants Enlightenment in Vidzeme and Kurzeme: the beginnings of Latvian periodicals etc. 2L, 2 S
10.The elements of theatre in Latvian folklore. The first plays in Latvian. K.G.Elferfeld, A.J.Stender2 S
11.A glimpse in the hernhuterian literature in Latvian. Hernhuterian heritage and Latvian literature2 S
12.Latvian literature at the beginnings of the 19th century: The Latvian Literary (Friends) Society of Latvian friends. A.Bielenstein. 2 L
13.The movement of Latvian national awakening and periodicals. A.Kronvalds, Kr. Valdemārs. 2 L, 2S
14. Poetry. Neredzīgais Indriķis. A.Līventāls. E.Dinsberģis. J.Ruģēns un J.Alunāns.4 S
15. The birth of Latvian folkloristics and literary criticism. Auseklis2 S
16. The problem of Latvian epic at the 2nd half of the 19th century. Pumpurs and “Lāčplēsis”. 2 L, 2 S
17.On the crossroads of sentimentalism and romanticism. J.Esenberģis and Vensku Edvards. 2 S
18. Test in Latvian poetry of the 19th century. 2 S
19. Latvian prose at the 1st half and in the middle of the 19th century. A.Leitāns. Kr.Barons. J.Neikens. 2 S
20.Latvian prose at the 2nd half of the 19th century. Apsīšu Jēkabs. Brothers Kaudzītes “Mērnieku laiki”. Māteru Juris. Jānis Esenberģis. 10 S
21.Testi in Latvian prose of the 19th century. 2 S
22.Latvian playwriters of the 19th century. Ād.Alunāns – dramatist, producer and actor. 4 S
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||
1) 85% attendance of seminars and lectures; those who have missed tutorials, must proof their knowledge at the consultations;
2) 2 tests in 19cnt.Latvian poetry and prose (50% of final evaluation);
3) exam (50% of the final evaluation) consists of an answer on two theoretical questions (75%) and text analyses (25%).
|Study programmes||Baltic Philology|