|Faculty||Faculty of Humanities|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|E-courses||LitZ2154: Creativity of Rūdolfs Blaumanis and its Interpretation in Latvian Culture|
|Course annotation||The course is designed to investigate and analyse the creative work of the Latvian classic Rūdolfs Balumanis. His creativity is discussed from the point of view of literary schools and genres in the context of history of culture and foreign literature. Special attention is paid to the interpretation of images, plots and motifs introduced by Blaumanis in Latvian literature and other spheres of arts (cinamatography, theatre, etc.), as well as in Latvian history of ideas. The aim of this course is to enhance students’ understanding of literary schools, genres and develop their ability to analyse a literary work as an artistic whole.|
|Results||As a result of this course students are envisaged to have acquired a deeper understanding of the circumstances and peculiarities of the origins of Latvian literary realism, as well as reception of literary works in Latvian culture. Having completed the course, students will have added to their imaginative and analytical thinking concerning the perception of a literary work, as well as to their ability to evaluate the increase of their intellectual experience and an overall improvement.|
|Course plan||1. Introduction to the course. Blaumanis’ life story and the development of his personality. L4
2. Blaumanis’ prose and its reception in Latvian literature. L4, S6
3. Blaumanis’ plays and their interpretation in Latvian culture. L4, S6
4. Blaumanis’ poetry. L2, S2
5. Blaumanis’ journalism and its traditions in Latvian press. L2, S2
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||Student’s achievement consists of the following:
1. 75% of course attendance.
2. Report about the creative work of Rūdolfs Blaumanis or its reception in Latvian culture 50%.
3. Written test on life and creation of Blaumanis, as well as interpretation of his works in Latvian culture - 50%.
|Study programmes||Baltic Philology|