|Faculty||Faculty of Business, Management and Economics|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|E-courses||2EKO4957: Tax Policy and Practice|
|Course annotation||The purpose of the course is to acquire the principles of the tax policy and methods of the practical use of taxes, to understand the socially economical consequences of the tax policy.
The tasks of the course are:
1. to introduce with basic principles of taxation;
2. to introduce with possibilities of the practical use of taxes in the different economical circumstances;
3. to develop skills of critical approach to tax policy and practice in Latvia;
4. to develop understanding and practical skills of tax policy making and analysis.
Language of instruction: Latvian
|Course responsible lecturer||Ramona Rupeika-Apoga|
1. Demonstrates basic knowledge of tax policy theory, understands the differences between different policies,
2. identify tax policy concepts and problems;
3. describes the place and role of practical application of tax policy in the overall economic system,
4. Understands and critically assesses the basic conditions and regularities of the development of tax policy and practice,
5. explain the operating principles of tax policy and interpretation of practical application.
6. Calculate tax amounts in different situations,
7. Is able to find the tax application of different situations using the acquired theoretical bases and skills;
8. Analyze the impact of tax policy on personal income and business performance,
9. evaluate the results and consequences of changes in tax policy,
10. Demonstrate understanding of the interrelationship between tax policy and enforcement and the operation of the Tax Policy Impact Tool,
11. presents the results of the analysis on tax application problems.
12. independently analyzes and assesses the impact of the tax policy applied in the country and is able to compare it with the experience of other countries,
13. Use economic theory statements to evaluate and analyze specific facts;
14. Apply different tax elements in tax application, solving situations in non-standard situations.
15. is able to understand the interrelationships between tax policy and socio-economic development
16. is able to analyze independently the impact of tax practices on business and the generation of budget revenue
|Course plan||1. The essence and functions of the taxes. lecture = 2 hours
2. Tax elements, using of tax elements in creation of the tax policy. lecture = 4 hours
3. Analyses of the tax policy and practice in the Republic of Latvia. lecture = 2 hours, practical = 10 hours
4. The problems of international taxation. lecture = 4 hours
5. Analyses of the tax policy in EU, tax harmonisation. lecture = 2 hours, practical = 4 hours
6. Analyses of the tax systems of other different countries: USA, China, Japan ect. lecture = 2 hours, practical = 2 hours
Total lecture = 16 hours, practical = 16 hours
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||Mid-term assessment:
1. Acquiring of the course materials and passing written test - (25%)
2. Participation in discussions, group presentation (25%)
3. Course exam (written) 50%.
|Study programmes||Accounting, Analysis and Audit|