|Faculty||Student Services of the University of Latvia|
|Credit points, number of lectures||
|Course annotation||The aim of the course is to enable the international students to study in English at Latvia University. The objectives of the course are as follows: to develop the students' overall level of English knowledge, to promote their academic reading skills, their ability to follow lectures, take notes, make presentations, participate in seminars, work independently and in a group.
|Results||Having successfully completed the course, the students will be able to:
1. follow a clearly structured lecture about a known topic, and make notes on issues perceived as important,
2. produce summaries and use them in different academic situations, for example, in preparation for examinations and seminars,
3. can follow the main points in conceptually and linguistically demanding lectures, presentations and reports, in spoken and written medium, can summarize information and arguments from different sources,
4.write reports and articles, arguing or questioning an opinion, explaining the positive and negative aspects of different approaches,
5. use academic vocabulary and appropriate sentence structures to study in English environment,
6. can repair their own mistakes in choice of vocabulary and sentence structure.
|Requirements for obtaining credit points||To receive credit for their Level B2 in Academic English, the students have to regularly participate in the seminars, hand in the approved language use course paper portfolio (40%), make 2 research presentations (30%) and write one examination essay, 1500 words (40%).