• Read the general Admission rules
  • Read the admission procedure, what study programmes are offered, what the admission requirements are for each study programme, and what centralised examinations are to be passed
  • If you need to prepare for entrance examinations or centralized examinations, the University of Latvia (LU) offers preparatory courses
  • If the applicant has graduated from secondary school after 2004, he/she participates in the general competition based on the results of the centralised examinations. If the required centralised examinations have not been passed or if the applicant would like to achieve better examination results, the centralised examinations can be passed again at the UL Pre-study Training Centre
  • Submit the application

The single application system unites application procedure to 12 higher education institutions: BA School of Business and Finance, Daugavpils University, University of Economics and Culture, ISMA University, University of Latvia, Latvia University of Agriculture, Liepaja University, Riga Technical University, RISEBA University of Business, Arts and Technology, Rezekne Academy of Technologies, Ventspils University College and Vidzeme University of Applied Sciences.

More information

If you have obtained a place to study at the UL, please, register and sign the study agreement at the respective UL Faculty or a branch. You can register personally or authorize another person who must present a notarised power of attorney.

In the absence of registration within the specified time, the applicant loses the right to register for studies. Documents to be taken with you for registration:

  • a copy of a personal identification document;
  • copies of the secondary education certificate and its annex (if issued), and the originals of these documents must also be presented;
  • copies of the documents, which grant the applicant any additional rights or guarantees (diplomas of school Olympiads, etc.), and the originals of these documents must also be presented;
  • copies of centralised examination certificates, and the originals of these documents must also be presented, if the admission was based on the results of the centralised examinations;
  • copies of other documents, and the originals of these documents must also be presented, if required in accordance with the Admission Requirements and Criteria for the Undergraduate Study Programmes in the Academic Year 2018/2019.

After registration and signing of the study agreement:

  • If necessary, apply for a loan
  • Upon entry into the fee-based studies, the tuition fee for the autumn semester (a half of the annual fee) must be paid in full until the officially indicated date in July. The tuition fee is refunded, if the student receives a study loan. Bank details for transferring tuition fees
  • To receive a state budget scholarship, you must apply electronically using the UL Information System www.luis.lv during the autumn semester registration week and the first week of studies, entering the electronic system with the user name and password, which you will receive upon registration for studies. If the user name and password do not work, it can be replaced at the Student Services Department
  • Register for sports
  • If necessary, book a place at the UL residence halls
  • You can also apply for the UL patron scholarships
  • At the beginning of September, apply for individual study courses for the first semester in your faculty. More information about applying for study courses can be obtained from your study programme secretary at the faculty.
  • Student IDs are traditionally issued at the student welcome festival "Aristotle", which takes place every year before the beginning of studies. If you will not attend this festival, you will receive your UL ID at the faculty as well, when commencing your studies.
  • Studies begin on the 1st week of studies, the starting date is indicated in the calendar of the current academic year.

If I have graduated from secondary school earlier and have not completed the CE, do I have the opportunity to begin studies in the study programme of my choice? 

If you have completed secondary education since 2004, you will participate in a joint competition for the right to enrol in certain study programmes based on the results of centralized examinations.

If you have completed secondary education before 2004, you will participate in a joint competition for the right to enrol in certain study programmes on the basis of passing marks of the year (not below 4) in the secondary education document.

If I am exempt from CE at school, whether and how can I apply for studies?
If you are exempt from centralized examinations in accordance with the procedures specified in normative acts and there is an entry in the secondary education certificate confirming this, you can apply for studies and participate in the competition for the right to enrol in certain study programmes on the basis of passing marks of the year (not below 4) in the secondary education document.

If I have received a centralized examination certificate in the past, does it remain valid?
Certificates of centralized examinations are valid from the year of issue, when the certificate contains assessment in each of the examination parts indicated in percentage. 
What is the difference between a bachelor's programme and a professional programme?
Acquiring a bachelor’s study programme, a student acquires academic education. The interests of the bachelor's degree candidates are more focused on the continuation of studies in one of the master's study programmes, followed by the doctoral programme. Academic education is rather directed at acquisition of theoretical knowledge in a particular field of science required by the labour market. On the other hand, graduates of professional study programmes are more directly prepared for the labour market because, upon graduation, they acquire a certain qualification. There are two types of professional study programmes– the 1st level higher professional and the 2nd level higher professional study programmes. The duration of the 1st level professional study programme is 2 or 2.5 years, and it gives the right to continue studies in the 2nd level professional study programmes, however, not in the master's programme. Graduates of the 2nd level professional programme can continue their studies at master's level.
What is the difference between full-time, part-time and part-time extramural studies?
Full-time studies are more suitable, if you have just graduated from school and are not working yet, because the classes are mainly on weekdays from 8:30 to 18:00, depending on the lecture timetable. Part-time studies are convenient, if you work. Part-time studies are usually organised either on Saturdays, Sundays or in the evenings of working days. Part-time extramural lectures must be attended even less frequently, a few times a month or even a few days per semester. Usually, part-time studies, compared to full-time studies, have fewer contact lessons and greater amount of independent work.
What is rotation?
Rotation is an annual contest for state-subsidized study places. It is an opportunity for those studying for a fee to enter the budget group. Rotation only applies to full-time students.

I do not live in Riga, where shall I live during my studies?

The University of Latvia offers places in several student hostels. Learn more about student accommodation here 

I have lost my secondary school certificate, how can I apply for studies?

In this case, you must apply to the educational institution, which issued the general education document, or the relevant local government’s education administration, if the educational institution has been liquidated. In addition, you must place the advertisement in the newspaper "Latvijas Vēstnesis", declaring the lost document invalid. Not later than 10 days from the date of publication of the advertisement, the head of the educational institution or the head of the municipal education authority will issue a duplicate of the general education document, with which you can apply for studies. The procedure for issuing a duplicate certificate for general secondary education is specified in the Cabinet of Ministers Regulation.

What should I do if I receive my secondary education certificate after the deadline for submitting applications?

In this case, the application will be examined individually and you will have to consult the UL Student Services Director before submitting the application.

When submitting my application, do I need to submit also the original documents?
No, the documents must only be presented.
Do I have to pay the tuition fee for the whole study year?

The tuition fee can be paid separately. You can choose your preferred mode of payment –- 2 or 4 times a year. However, the first instalment will have to be paid for the first semester.

Can tuition fees change during studies?
No, the tuition fee remains unchanged, if you complete the study programme within its term without interruption of studies
If I apply for a loan, do I have to pay a part of study fee myself?
If you apply for a loan, you must nevertheless pay the first instalment (the first semester’s fee) before the date set by the University of Latvia. After the bank has reviewed all the loan applications, you will have entered into a contract with the bank and a study fee will be credited to the UL account, then the amount paid by yourself will be refunded to you by transferring it to the account specified in your application.
What should I do if I cannot come personally to register within the deadline?
If you do not register at the time stipulated by the faculties, you lose the right to the place of study obtained as a result of the competition. Therefore, in order not to lose it, you must authorize another person to complete your registration. In this case, a notarised power of attorney will be required.
How do I pay for studies?

You can pay for your studies by transferring money to the UL account. UL bank details for transfer of study fees

I still have questions about the opportunities to study at UL, where can I inquire?

Admissions contacts. Call: + 371 67034444, write: lu@lu.lv or contact personally our specialists at Student Services, Raiņa bulvāris 19, room125. Opening hours are available here


Vienotā uzņemšana pamatstudiju programmās:

Informācija par to kā samaksāt par pieteikumu vienotajā uzņemšanā – šeit (https://www.lu.lv/gribustudet/uznemsanas-kartiba/pamatstudijas/pieteiksanas/)

Svarīgi! Par pieteikumu vienotajā uzņemšanā nedrīkst maksāt uz Latvijas Universitātes rekvizītiem. Pieteikuma reģistrācijas maksa tiek pārskaitīta uz centralizētajiem vienotās uzņemšanas kontiem, kuri ir Rīgas Tehniskās universitātes pārziņā.

Reģistrācijas maksa ir 35 EUR.