Degree to be achieved: Professional Master’s Degree in Education
Duration of studies: Full-time (1 year) or Part-time (1.5 years)
Amount of credits: 60 ECTS
Language of instruction: English
Director of the Programme: assoc. prof. Dr. paed. Indra Odiņa (email@example.com)
Sub-programme: Teacher – Master’s Degree in Education gives the chance for teachers who already have higher professional education to obtain professional Master’s degree in education by acquiring the module “Education for Personal and Sustainable Wellbeing and Coherent Development of Society”.
Based on research skills of examining, disseminating and implementing changes, the students gain understanding in building a sustainable cultural environment of education, developing educational practice for the growth of a holistic personality, improving the understanding of an educator’s professional identity and skills to evaluate pedagogic mastery.
Students deepen interdisciplinary understanding of the effective didactic approaches and improve skills of implementing them into educational practice to raise and solve problems connected with wellbeing and harmonised development in formal, non-formal and informal learning practice in the context of the local community and global education, and developing a Master’s Paper connected with topical needs of education, thus contributing to the harmonious development of society.
The expected learning outcomes.
The programme ensures an opportunity:
- to gain a critically reflective understanding of education development trends in improving the quality of life for one’s own and the following generations and facilitating the personal wellbeing and coherent development of society;
- to evaluate and improve the pedagogical competence according to the requirements of the fifth-level teacher professional qualification and advance professional development in a life-long learning context;
- to implement teaching and research practice in accordance with the labour market, social needs and innovative educational science and practice trends;
- to develop and defend a Master’s Paper connected with topical needs of education, thus contributing to the harmonious development of society.
SP envisages the teaching practice and master’s practice in research which students can do either in formal, non-formal and informal education institutions and communities of Latvia or abroad.
Students of the SP can participate in ERASMUS + exchange programmes in EU partner higher education institutions.
Career opportunities: the graduates of the program can work in the state and private educational institutions and other education-related institutions, etc. The obtained degree gives teachers a possibility to continue the studies in Doctoral programmes.
1. Higher professional pedagogical education with teacher’s qualification.
2. Admission consists of two stages: students submit a motivation letter explaining their choice of the Master’s programme (1,800 characters), Curriculum Vitae and the evidence of the professional activities for the last 3 years. Students are invited to interview with the admission committee via Skype video conference.
Admission requirements for citizens of India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan:
1. Results of one of the internationally recognized tests (IELTS, TOEFL etc.) at least level B2 at CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) or passed UL English Test;
2. Skype interview (see above).
Autumn Intake (application start: 1 Jan 2019; studies start in Sept 2019)