Degree to be achieved: Master of Education Sciences in Pedagogy
Duration of studies: 2 years
Type of studies: Full-time
Amount of credits: 120 ECTS
Language of instruction: English and Latvian
Study programme is accredited
The programme is challenged by the educational paradigm shift which is taking hold in many countries which have obtained their political independence after 1991. New economic reality with the dominating market relations challenges new targets of education and consequently new educational settings at tertiary institutions in the Knowledge society. The tertiary educational institutions are being redirected from an institution of lecturing and instruction with dominating normative pedagogy to an institution of learning which provides the learners freedom to learn. The paradigm shift changes teaching and learning, assessment and planning, communication and cooperation, mutual relations and attitudes of all who are involved in the educational process.
The programme follows the overarching target of pedagogy to investigate and suggest practical solutions of shifting teachers’ and educators’ profession from skill of facilitating, evaluating and recognizing the learners’ knowledge to the competent ability of involving the learners into creating their knowledge, teaching to learn, understanding and developing critical thinking as a precondition for a successful educator of the 21st Century. Therefore the mission of a programme designed for future educators is to provide the students opportunities for learning towards successful holding of the target competences and personal qualities. This programme implements the above formulated idea and the conception of the programme by the following:
- critical and productive thinking of the educators and learners - the intellectual basis of reaching the educational target is being developed by inquiry learning and problem solving;
- rich learning environment and option for learning everywhere and at any time is based on the constructivists’ views which integrate appropriate theories, functions as learning theory-in-use and conducts the students’ successful learning towards the appropriate educator’s competences and innovative abilities;
- conscious maintenance of the teaching-learning by educators and students towards making the process an integrated whole, sustainable and innovative, re-directing the tertiary process from instructive teaching to self-regulated learning;
- continuously learning teams of the educators and students are working towards obtaining the qualities of professional thinking appropriate for implementing the learning pedagogical paradigm and ability of identifying and solving new topical problems, as well as ability of organizing an inquiry-based tertiary process;
- the students’ choice of content, means and pace in accordance with their perspectives and needs in compliance with the idea and target of this programme;
- self- and peer assessment is validated as prior to the educators’ assessment that makes students and educators equally responsible for the learners’ achievements, as well as promotes the learners’ further self-regulated learning.
After successful completition of the Master’s degree study programme “Pedagogy” graduates have access to doctoral programmes.
Study period and classes time
The full-time degree programme covers two academic years. Classes are on Mondays and Tuesdays from 12.30 till 18.00, and Wednesdays from 8.30 till 20.00. The programme includes full-time courses at the University.
1. Bachelor’s degree or a diploma proving equivalent level of education from an institution of higher education;
2. English language proficiency.
3. Applicants must submit a motivation letter which reflects the reasoning of the chosen master’ s programme and its sub-programme (the letter does not accede 500 words).
Admission requirements for citizens of India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan:
1. Results of one of the internationally recognized tests (IELTS, TOEFL etc.) at least level B2 at CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) or passed UL English Test;
2. Skype interview which includes questions about motivation.
Autumn Intake (application start: 1 Jan 2019; studies start in Sept 2019)
Contact person for more information
Director of the Programme
Assoc. Prof. Dita Nīmante
Phone: +371 67034014
Coordinator of the Programme
Faculty of Education, Psychology and Arts
76 Jurmalas gatve, Riga, LV-1083