English language teacher
Degree to be achieved: Professional Bachelor's Degree in Education
Qualification: Teacher of English
Second Subject: Teacher of German/ Teacher of Visual Arts
Duration of studies: 4 years
Type of studies: Full time
Amount of credits: 240 ECTS
Language of instruction: English/German/Latvian
Study programme is accredited
Having successfully mastered the programme, students acquire knowledge and skills that are necessary for today’s teacher to integrate successfully and remain competitive in the constantly changing labour market. During the studies students acquire courses of pedagogy, psychology, English/German language courses and phonetics to improve their spoken, written and academic language skills; they study literature, geography, culture and history of English/German speaking countries as well as the use of modern technologies in the studies of foreign language. Special attention is paid to teacher’s research activities and teaching practices at schools under the supervision of experienced mentors and the support of university academic staff.
The teachers of visual art study the history of art; they acquire the basics of drawing and painting and courses in methods of teaching visual art.
The programme offers two-module directions of the curriculum. Students can acquire qualification of 2 subjects: English and German language teacher or English and Visual art teacher.
Study period and classes time
The full – time degree programme covers four academic years. Classes are mainly organized from 8.30 am till 6pm on working days.
After successful completion of the programme graduates work as English and German language teachers or English and Visual art teachers in schools in Latvia or other EU countries or in their native countries according to the requirements in the respective countries.
1. General secondary school diploma;
2. English language proficiency;
3. German language proficiency (choosing a second qualification - Teacher of German)
4. Entrance examination - written part and Skype interview on motivation
5. During the first year of studies students must achieve at least level B1 in the Latvian Language to be successful in further studies.
Enrolment criteria (for students competing for the state-financed study place)
1. The grade in English (30%);
2. Grade point average (20%);
3. A certificate of the Latvian language (10%);
4. Entrance examination (40%)
Please note! Only EU/EEA/Swiss citizens and EU long-term resident status holders can compete for a state-financed study place.
Admission requirements for citizens of India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan:
1. Results of one of the internationally recognized tests (TOEFL, IELTS etc. and DSD, DSH, TestDaF, Goethe-Zertifikat) at least level B2 at CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) or passed UL English Test;
2. Entrance examination via Skype (see above).
Autumn Intake (application starts: 1 Jan 2019; studies start in Sept 2019)
Contact person for more information
Director of the Programme
Doz. Ilvis Abelkalns
Coordinator of the Programme
Prof. Ilze Kangro
Faculty of Education, Psychology and Art
1 Imantas 7. līnija, Riga, LV-1083