Degree to be achieved: Bachelor of Natural Sciences in Optometry
Duration of studies: Full-time (3 year)
Type of studies: Full-time
Amount of credits: 180 ECTS
Language of instruction: English
Study programme is accredited
This programme is based on studies of natural sciences, biology, medicine and basic principles of primary eye care service. Bachelor programme is the first step in professional optometrist education scheme in Latvia. The program offers extensive profile studies of natural sciences including organic chemistry, biology, calculus, physics for natural sciences, optics, basics of human anatomy, general physiology, ophthalmic optics, microbiology, biochemistry, anatomy and physiology of the eye, physiology of vision, optometric instruments, refractive defects, binocular vision and other.
The topic of the Bachelor thesis should be carefully chosen; supervisor’s assistance for further research. Students will be able to continue education in Master degree programme.
This programme prepares competitive graduates for Latvian and European labor markets.
1. General secondary high school diploma;
2. English language proficiency.
3. Grade in Mathematics or Physics or Chemistry or Biology must be no less than 4 in a 10 point grading system.
Admission requirements for citizens of India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan:
1. Results of one of the internationally recognized tests (IELTS, TOEFL etc.) at least level B2 at CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) or passed UL English Test;
2. Skype interview which includes questions about profiling subjects and motivation.
Autumn Intake (application start: 1 Jan 2019; studies start in Sept 2019)
Contact person for more information
Director of the Programme
Prof. Gunta Krūmiņa
Faculty of Physics, Mathematics and Optometry
1 Jelgavas Street, Riga
Coordinator of the Programme