All International students must have a life and health insurance:
1) For EU citizen - at least European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
2) For non EU citizens – life and health insurance policy which is valid in Latvia and in all Schengen countries and which ensures at least the following health care services:
- emergency medical assistance costs;
- treatment costs of growing chronic illness;
- transport costs to the closest medical facility providing the Services mentioned above;
- transportation costs to return the patient to his/her home country in the case of a serious illness or death.
The minimum limit of insurer's risk of own account indicated in the policy should not be less than 42 600 EUR.
The insurance policy shall be valid for a period not less than student’s residence permit validity in Latvia. If the validity date of the policy expires during student’s stay in Latvia, the existing policy shall be extended or a new policy shall be purchased.
Non EU citizens can get the above mentioned insurance policy at the local insurance companies, for example, Ergo (Republikas laukums 3-13), If (Republikas laukums 2A), BTA (K. Valdemāra str. 63) Gjensidige (Brīvības str. 39) or Balta (Brīvības Blvd. 32).
If you are interested to apply for health insurance and have any questions, please contact with International student advisor by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency call: 112 a toll-free number. The operator will connect you with the necessary emergency service.
Find some of the clinics below:
- Medical Care Centre “ARS”/ Medicīnas sabiedrība „ARS” (Skolas str. 5, Phone No. 67201006, 67201007, 67201008).
- Pauls Stradins Clinical University Hospital / Paula Stradiņa Klīniskās universitātes slimnīca (Pilsoņu str. 13, Phone No.: 6706 9600)
- "Health Center 4" / „Veselības centrs 4” (Kr. Barona Street 117, Phone No.: 67847100)
Pharmacies in Latvia are called „Aptieka”.