- Guest lecture „Irish Presidency of the Council of the EU”, by H.E. Mr Aidan Kirwan, Ambassador of Ireland 15.05.2013
On Wednesday, 15thMay at 6.15 p.m. at the University of Latvia (UL), Faculty of Economics and Management (Aspazijas boulevard 5, Room No. 500), H.E. Mr Aidan Kirwan, Ambassador of Ireland in Latvia will give a lecture „Irish Presidency of the Council of the EU”.
- One of the world’s leading cognitive science* experts will deliver a lecture at the University of Latvia 15.05.2013
On May 15 at 16:00 at the University of Latvia (UL), Robert Goldstone, a professor of the Indiana University, USA, and one of the world’s most prominent researchers in perception, will deliver an open lecture to inspire the listeners to expand the boundaries of their knowledge and understand the importance of perception in human and personal development.
- Students of the Faculty of Law succeed internationally 10.05.2013
University of Latvia Faculty of Law compete in various moot court competitions annually. One of the first international competitions this year was the European Law Moot Court Competition, where Latvia was represented at the Regional Final in Switzerland by Sandra Galilejeva, Anna Jakšpētere, Lilita Sergejeva and Ketija Žubure. Assistant professor Kristīne Dupate was acting in the role of a team coach and trained the team towards achievements and success.
- Symposium on Language for International Communication 09.05.2013
- Cognitive science experts from all over the world to take part in the symposium at the University of Latvia 03.05.2013
On 16–18 May, the University of Latvia (UL) will hold the 9th International Cognitive Science, Logic and Communication Symposium ‘Perception and Concepts’, organized by the UL Centre for the Cognitive Sciences and Semantics in collaboration with the Department of Philosophy at the McMaster University (Canada).
- European Studies Master Programme students meet Stanford University students 26.04.2013
On April 24, 2013, European Studies Master Programme students met with students from Stanford University in Berlin who have come to study visit in Riga, Latvia. The group of 40 Stanford University students was led by Professor Dr. Uli Bueckner and Professor Dr. Karen Kramer.
- Baltic Entrepreneurial Summerschool 2013 25.04.2013
Baltic Entrepreneurial Summerschool 2013 invites students of Bachelor and Master programs of the University of Latvia to participate in entrepreneurship development interdisciplinary activities within Erasmus Intensive Program “Learning for entrepreneurship in health, behaviourial, engineering & life sciences” to be held in Riga from 12 to 23 August.
- Conference at the UL discussed important issues for improving the cross-border labour mobility in the Central Baltic region. 25.04.2013
On March 19, 2013 the conference of the "Centralbaltic Job Ferry" project on the cross border labour mobility issues in the Central Baltic region took place at the University of Latvia (UL).
- Stanford goes to Latvia 22.04.2013
On April 24 Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence of the University of Latvia is receiving a group of 43 students from Stanford University in Berlin, Germany, mainly from field of political science with a focus on European Studies.
- The Daily lunch restaurant satisfaction questionnaire 22.04.2013
In order to develop catering organization in lunch restaurant Daily, we invite you to answer some questions and to express your suggestions. Filling in the questionnaire will take ~10 minutes.
- Why study at the University of Latvia? 18.04.2013
Our current international students share their reasons, study and living experience. The application deadline for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens is mid July, for non-EU citizens – May 15, 2013.
- UL Faculty of Economics and Management Students Enter the MIT Global Startup Workshop Finals 16.04.2013
On March 25-27, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Global Startup Workshop (GSW) took place in Tallinn, Estonia. Among other things, the seminar hosted a business pitch contest attended by Jānis Zaltāns, Andris Ziemelis and Kristaps Zaļais, students of the Faculty of Economics and Management (FEM) of the University of Latvia (UL).
- The guest lecture Political Discourse and Manipulation will be given by Professor Teun van Dijk at the Faculty of Humanities 16.04.2013
On April 22, 2013, at 10:00 at the UL Faculty of Humanities (4a Visvalza Street, room 401), the lecture Political Discourse and Manipulation will be given by one of the founders of Critical Discourse Analysis, Professor Teun van Dijk.
- Polish professor of economics at a guest lecture at the University of Latvia: Latvia’s transition to the euro is a logical step 08.04.2013
On 19 March at the Great Hall of the University of Latvia (UL), Leszek Balcerowicz, a professor of the Warsaw School of Economics and one of today’s best-known economists of Poland, gave the lecture ‘Euro: Problems and Solutions’. In this lecture, which was organized by the UL and the Bank of Latvia (BL), the professor expressed his approval of the current Latvian economic trends and the now-possible transition to the euro, as well as analysed the current situation of the euro area.
- An invitation to a photography exhibition ‘Latvia. Also mine’ by a Czech diplomat, held at the UL Botanic Garden 26.03.2013
Photography exhibition ‘Latvia. Also mine’ by Czech diplomat Michal Korecky will be displayed at the Palm House of the UL (University of Latvia) Botanic Garden from 25 March until 28 April.
- International Conference "Biophotonics - Riga 2013" 25.03.2013
- With a fresh look at studies at home 25.03.2013
The student exchange programme ERASMUS is an opportunity that every student should seize! This point has been made by all those students, who have spent a semester in Europe and made new friends, got lots of impressions, improved their knowledge or even found love. We would like to share 3 inspiring stories and experiences of the UL students who have been on exchange at European universities.
- A leading Arab world observer will deliver the lecture ‘The Arab Spring. What went wrong? Future scenarios’ at the UL 25.03.2013
Who is against whom in the protracted civil war in Syria? How Islamists took control over the Arab Spring? Have Al-Qa'ida found a safe home in Libya and Syria? Should Europe be afraid of Islamic radicals at home? Has the West lost the War on terror? You will find the answers to these and other related questions in the lecture by Abdel Bari Atwan, the founder of several independent pan-Arab media, an Arab world’s authority, respected by the countries’ leaders and quoted by the world's largest media.
- Faculty of Law will host a summer course on European Health Law 21.03.2013
- Students of the University of Latvia for students: united in diversity 19.03.2013
With the slogan ‘Each has different colours; together we are strong!’ the students of the University of Latvia (UL) united during the freshmen event Aristotle in 2012.
- A Research into Future Computers 11.03.2013
Andris Ambainis, a professor of the UL (University of Latvia) Faculty of Computing and the youngest academician in the history of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, was recently awarded with a European Research Council grant. For the first time, the prestigious financing was awarded to a representative from Latvia. At the moment, Ambainis is globally recognised as one of the leading researchers in the industry. In collaboration with both specialists from Latvia and international scientific communities, Ambainis is planning to conduct a globally significant research in the field of quantum computing. The aim of the research is to determine the limits and advantages of quantum devices.
- All study programs of the University of Latvia are accredited by the State 08.03.2013
“Currently, the majority of secondary school students are deciding on where to continue their education, therefore the University of Latvia (UL) reminds that all its study programs are accredited by the State, and after the successful graduation from the University, the received diplomas will be recognized both in our country and internationally. This also provides a sense of security to the present students as the UL, the largest and oldest higher education institution in Latvia, guarantees stability in education both now and in the future,” says Andris Kangro, the study pro-rector of the UL. Therefore, the students and those willing to study should not be concerned about the programs’ accreditation at the UL.
- Baltic study course list changes 06.03.2013
There are changes to Baltic study course list.
- Join the Couple Learning programme 06.03.2013
Couple Learning Programme is a cycle of events, created by students, for STUDENTS. Program’s purpose is to help learn LANGUAGES from each other in an INFORMAL way and in the meantime, learn about each other’s CULTURE.
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day were commemorated at University of Latvia 05.03.2013
On 28th of January 2013 at the University of Latvia occurred International Holocaust Remembrance Day desiccated event. Within this framework a documentary film was demonstrated about the Japanese diplomats and Jewish rescuers Chiune Sugihara.
- New issue of University of Latvia’s magazine "Alma Mater" (Spring 2013) 28.02.2013
- Registration for American Law Summer School opened 27.02.2013
- University of Latvia regains the Philip C. Jessup Baltic Cup 21.02.2013
On the 16th of February the annual Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition Baltic Cup came to an end in the Faculty of Law of the University of Latvia.
- Registration for Riga Summer School 2013 is now open 18.02.2013
University of Latvia’s Department of Communication Studies invites students of communication, media, public relations, advertising and film studies to submit applications for participation in the third Riga Summer School, which will focus on the identity aspects of the Latvian capital.
- The University of Latvia and GlaxoSmithKline will cooperate in educating specialists 13.02.2013
On 7th of February 2013, a cooperation agreement between the pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline Latvia (GSK) and the University of Latvia (UL) was signed, the aim of which is to facilitate education of highly qualified specialists.
- The Annual Awards of the University of Latvia have been presented 13.02.2013
On 1 February in the Great Hall of the Universisty of Latvia (UL), a staff meeting has been held, at which the rector, Professor Mārcis Auziņš gave a speech to the university staff, and the UL Annual Awards, which are presented each academic year, were distributed.
- Students will dispute before the International Court of Justice 11.02.2013
The Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition Baltic Cup 2013 will take place in the University of Latvia’s Faculty of Law on February 15th and 16th. This year the Faculty of Law will welcome participants from Belarus, Sweden, Finland and Luxemburg that will be judged by former moot court participants and other experts of international public law.
- UL Institute of Solid State Physics Director receives a Medal of the Baltic Academies of Sciences 08.02.2013
On January 28-29, delegations from Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian, Finnish and Norwegian Academies of Sciences met for the 13th Baltic Conference on Intellectual Co-operation at the Estonian Academy of Sciences in Tallinn. The subject of the conference was ‘European Research Area and Small Countries’.
- The building of UL Library is reborn in a new form 01.02.2013
On January 28 in Riga, 4 Kalpaka Blvd., there was an official opening ceremony of the renovated historical building of the UL Library in which from now on the new L. W. Kerkovius's House: Humanities and Social Sciences Research Centre and Library, will function.
- International Summer School "Contemporary Baltic capitals: New Business Opportunities" 31.01.2013
International Summer School "Contemporary Baltic capitals: New Business Opportunities" is a 3-week joint course on current economic challenges and business opportunities facing the Baltic societies and business enterprises in this region.
- Invitation for international students to participate in a workshop 30.01.2013
International students at the UL are invited to participate in a workshop carried out by Asia Res team.
- Professor A. Ambainis is awarded a prestigious ‘Advanced Grant’ 28.01.2013
On January 22, 2013 the European Commission announced 302 top researchers who are awarded a prestigious ‘Advanced Grant’ by the European Research Council (ERC). For the first time this grant is also awarded to a Latvian researcher – Professor Andris Ambainis from the University of Latvia, Faculty of Computing (advantages and limits of quantum devices).
- A Conference on cross-border labour mobility in the Central Baltic region will take a place in Riga, Latvia on 19 March 2013 24.01.2013
The public Centralbaltic Job Ferry Final Conference on the cross-border labour market mobility in the Central Baltic region will take a place at the University of Latvia Main Building (Raina Street 19, Small Hall), Riga, Latvia on 19 March 2013 from 9:30 to 17:00.
- Radio NABA 10 exhibition is on display 17.01.2013
Marking the 10th anniversary of the UL Radio NABA, a special exhibition has been arranged with the assistance of the UL History Museum – it is on display now and can also be seen on the Radio NABA web page.
- From Peat to Nanotechnologies 11.01.2013
An artificial olfactory sensor that diagnose lung cancer in a/the patient’s breath, biological medicine to fight coccus diseases, cosmetics produced from mud – this is only a few of the innovative projects and studies that the researchers of the University of Latvia (UL) work on.
- Special purpose scholarships granted to 1,364 doctoral students of the University of Latvia 11.01.2013
Within the framework of the European Social Fund (ESF) project „Support for Doctoral Studies at the University of Latvia”, from its commencement date up until end of 2012 - the financing of 12 million Lats have been acquired, nine Tenders have been arranged and 1,364 special purpose scholarships have been granted to doctoral students of the UL.
- Language Centre offers the following Courses (Classes begin on January 21, 2013) 07.01.2013
- Invitation to visit the National Integration Centre 07.01.2013
This is an invitation to third-country nationals-students and students who have Latvian non-citizen status to visit the National Integration Centre (NIC).
- The University of Latvia Christmas e-card 21.12.2012
Public Relations Department is creating a template for an electronic University Christmas card. You can email it to your family, friends and colleagues.
- Project proposal by Professor A.Ambainis wins the competition at the EU Seventh Framework Programme for Research 19.12.2012
The project proposal titled "Quantum algorithmics" (QALGO), which was coordinated by Professor Andris Ambainis from the UL Faculty of Computing, has won at the EU Seventh Framework Programme "Quantum ICT", and the implementation of the project will start on May 1, 2013.
- MISOCO Student Scholarships: Application now open! 11.12.2012
The Joint European Master’s in International Migration and Social Cohesion (MISOCO) is a two-year international Master's with the support of the Erasmus Mundus programme of the European Union which offers students the unique opportunity to study international migration in three European countries.
- President of Poland unveils the UL punishment cell 11.12.2012
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Riga Polytechnicum (RP), representatives of the Polish Embassy and Polish delegation to Latvia, headed by Bronislaw Komorowski, President of Poland, visited the University of Latvia (UL) on November 23.
- Doctoral Student Karina Oborune Wins Student Ideas Competition „ Latvia is talking, Europe hears!” 11.12.2012
At „ Latvia is talking, Europe hears!” competition, held on November, 7, the Grand Prize of 1,000 euros was awarded to UL doctoral student Karina Oborune. The task for the contest included making presentions of innovative and creative ideas to address Latvian farmers’ concerns at the European Union ( EU) level.
- New issue of University of Latvia’s magazine "Alma Mater" (Winter 2012) 10.12.2012
- Discussing the cross-border labour mobility issues in the Centralbaltic Job Ferry 3rd Workshop in Turku, Finland 06.12.2012
Possibilities for improving the cross-border labour mobility have been discussed at the 3rd Workshop of the Centralbaltic Job Ferry project in Turku, Finland on 27 November 2012.
Baltic University Programme
Erasmus Student Network
PhD Thesis Defense
Researcher of the Month
Students’ Punishment Cell
University of Latvia 90
Academic Centre of Natural and Medical Sciences
Advanced Social and Political Researsch Institute
Association of Latvian Universities
Baltic Graduate School
Center for Judaic Studies at the University of Latvia
Center for the Cognitive Sciences and Semantics
Centralbaltic Job Ferry
Centre for European and Transition Studies
European University Association
Faculty of Biology
Faculty of Chemistry
Faculty of Computing
Faculty of Economics and Management
Faculty of Education, Psychology and Art
Faculty of Geography and Earth Sciences
Faculty of History and Philosophy
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Physics and Mathematics
Faculty of Social Sciences
Faculty of Theology
Faculy of Humanities
Folk dance ensemble “Dancis”
Institute of Astronomy
Institute of Atomic Physics and Spectroscopy
Institute of Literature, Folklore and Art
Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science
Institute of Solid State Physics
Museum of History
Natural and Life Sciences Academic Center
Sports Service Centre
Stockholm School of Economics in Riga
The Baltic Sea Region University Network
The Baltic-German University Liaison Office
The cultural, artistic and educational creative society “Juventus”
The Great Hall
The Institute of Atomic Physics and Spectroscopy
The Laser Centre
The Small Hall
UL Student Council
University of Latvia Foundation