Admission procedure for Academic year 2013/2014
1. Students applying for Doctoral studies submit the application in person to the Academic department (Raina blvd 19, room 243, working hours: 8.30–12.30; 13.00-17.00) from August 19 to 23, 2013.
Applicants may also send their documents via post (documents should reach the University of Latvia till no later than July 12, 2013) to the following mailing address:
University of Latvia
Raina blvd. 19
Documents to be submitted:
1) Foreign education documents need a Statement of Academic Recognition. You should request this Statement at the Academic Information Centre in Latvia (2 Smilšu Street, 4th floor, Riga, tel. +371 67225155, fax. +371 67221006). The process takes about one month therefore you should order the document in advance;
2) A duly completed application form ;
3) An application for dissertation topic ;
4) A justification and framework (3-5 pages) for the chosen dissertation prepared and signed together with the prospective thesis advisor;
5) Curriculum Vitae ;
6) Notary certified copies of legalized Master’s degree diploma and diploma supplement (presentation of the originals is mandatory if normal copies are submitted). Education documents (except documents issued in EU/EEA countries or Switzerland) must be legalized. More information on the legalization requirement here;
7) Recommendations for doctoral studies (if available);
8) A copy of passport (presentation of the original is mandatory);
9) A copy of application fee (15 LVL for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens and permanent residence permit holders; 35 LVL for non-EU citizens) payment document. The application fee can be paid in cash on 19 Raiņa Boulevard, Room 125 or via a bank transfer (bank account specifications available here);
10) One passport-size photo (3x4 cm)
2. Applicants must pass an entrance examination, which is held in structural units of UL from September 2 to 6, 2013. International students residing outside Latvia will be examined via Skype conference.
3. The results of the entrance examinations will be notified till September 13, 2013.