Admission procedure for Academic year 2016/2017
1. Students applying for Doctoral studies submit the application in person to the Student sevices (Raina blvd 19, room 243, working hours: 8.30–12.30; 13.00-17.00) from August 15 to 19, 2016.
Applicants may also send their documents via post (documents should reach the University of Latvia till no later than July 13, 2016) to the following mailing address:
University of Latvia
Raina blvd. 19
Documents to be submitted:
1) A duly completed application form ;
2) An application for dissertation topic ;
3) A justification and framework (3-5 pages) for the chosen dissertation prepared and signed together with the prospective thesis advisor;
4) Curriculum Vitae ;
5) Notary certified copies of legalized Bachelor’s and Master’s degree diploma and diploma supplement (presentation of the originals is mandatory if normal copies are submitted). Education documents (except documents issued in EU/EEA countries or Switzerland) must be legalized. More information on the legalization requirement here;
6) Recommendations for doctoral studies (if available);
7) A copy of passport (presentation of the original is mandatory);
8) A copy of application fee (100 EUR) payment document. The application fee have to be paid via a bank transfer (bank account specifications available here);;
9) One passport-size photo (3x4 cm)
10) Foreign education documents need a Statement of Academic Recognition. You should request this Statement at the Academic Information Centre in Latvia (Dzirnavu Street 16, 3rd floor, Riga, tel. +371 67225155, fax. +371 67221006). The process takes about one month therefore you should order the document in advance. For international students residing outside Latvia education documents for academic recognition are submitted by University of Latvia. Additional payment for a Statement of Academic Recognition is 41 euro.
2. Applicants must pass an entrance examination, which is held in structural units of UL from August 29 to September 5, 2016. International students residing outside Latvia will be examined via Skype conference.
3. Registration will be held in the Academic department (Raina blvd 19, room 243) from September 26 to 30, 2016.