Rector prof. Mārcis Auziņš
Born: January 11, 1956, Riga, Latvia
- main field: Atomic and Molecular Physics , Laser Spectroscopy of Atoms and Small Molecules
- other fields: Didactics of Physics : Atomic and Molecular Physics , Laser Spectroscopy of Atoms and Small Molecules : Didactics of Physics
Current research interests:
Coherent processes in laser excitation of atoms and possible applications, electric field maping, atomic spectroscopy in sum-micron optical cells.
Languages: Latvian, English, Russian
- University of Latvia (Faculty of Physics and Mathematics), 1979
- Dr.phys. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in Western countries), St. Petersburg University, Russia, 1986
- Dr. habil. phys., University of Latvia, 1995
- Department of Physics Peking University, Beijing, Peoples Republic of China, 1987 –1988
- Department of Physics, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada, 1991
- USIA international program "University administration in the United States", Washington, USA, 1993
- Assistant, Engineer, Lecturer, Associate Professor, Professor, Department of Physics, University of Latvia, 1979 -
- Visiting Professor and Research Fellow, Royal Society, University of Sussex, UK, 1996
- Research Fellow, International project "Interaction of Oriented Molecules", Centre for Interdisciplinary Research,University of Bielefeld, Germany, 1996 – 1997
- Visiting professor, Oklahoma University, USA, 1998
- Visiting professor, University of California, Berkeley, USA, 2003
- Head of the Chair of Experimental Physics, University of Latvia, 1994 –
- Professor, University of Latvia, 1995 -
- State Professor, Latvian Council of Science , 1997 -
- Head of the Department of Physics, University of Latvia, 1997 – 2002
- Director, Institute of Atomic Physics and Spectroscopy 1998 – 2003
- Chairman of the Senate, University of Latvia 1998 - 2007
- Dean of the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics, University of Latvia, 2002 - 2007
- Head, Center of Excellence for Basic Research in Nanoscale Physics and Application, Institute of Atomic Physics and Spectroscopy, University of Latvia, 2003 -
- Rector of the University of Latvia, 2007 -
Honours, Awards, Fellowships, Memberships of Professional Societies
- Full Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1998
- Member, Senate of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, 2001 -
- Hanle Prize, Alexander von Humbolt Foundation, Bonn, Germany, 1992
- Member, Latvian Physical Society
- Member, American Physical Society
- Member, Institute of Physics (United Kingdom)
- Member, Contact Group of Nordic - Baltic Physical Societies
- Expert, European Physics Education Network
- Member of the Expert Committee, Latvian Council of Science
- Member, Latvian Council of Science, 2003 -
- Board Member, International Physics Olympiads, 1996 -
- Board Member, European Physics Education Network – EUPEN (Socrates Network), 1993-2003
- National Representative, World Federation of Physics Competitions , 2002 -
Monographs - 2; papers in referred journals - 89; communications to scientific meetings - 95; text books and teaching materials - 8
- M.Auzinsh, R.Ferber, Optical Polarization of Molecules. 1995, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 306 p.; second ed. 2005, 322 p. (ISBN-10: 0521673445/ ISBN-13: 9780521673440)
- M.Auzins, K.Blush, R.Ferber, F.Gahbauer, A.Jarmola, M.Tamanis. Electric field induced symmetry breaking of angular momentum distribution in atoms. - Physical Reviews Letters, 2006, vol. 97, 043002 (4), arXiv.org.physics/0603194.
- E.B.Alexandrov, M.Auzinsh, D.Budker, D.F.Kimball, S.M.Rochester, V.V.Yashchuk. Dynamic effects in nonlinear magneto-optics of atoms and molecules. – J.Opt. Soc. Am. B, vol.22, No1/January, 2005, pp.7-20.
- M.Auzinsh. Manipulation of atoms and molecules with laser radiation and external fields. – In: Theory of Chemical Reaction Dynamic (Eds. A.Lagana, G.Lendvay), NATO Science Series C, Kluwer, New Yorks, 2004, pp.447-466.
- D.H.Sarisyan, V.Papoyan, T.S.Varzhapetyan, K.Blush, M.Auzinsh. Effekt Zeemana na sverhtonkoi structure atomnoi linii D1 submikronnogo sloya parov 87 Rb. – Optika I Spektroskopiya, 2004, vol.96(2), pp.229-235.
- J.Alnis, K.Blushs, M.Auzinsh, S.Kennedy, N.Shafer-Ray, E.R.I.Abraham. The Handle effect and level crossing spectroscopy in Rb vapour under strong laser excitation. – Journal of Physics. Molecular and Optical Physics, 2003, vol. 36(6), pp.1161-1173.
- V.Papoyan, D.H.Sarisyan, K.Blush, M.Auzinsh, D.Bloch, M.Ducloy. Magnetic field-induced mixing of hyperfine states of Cs 62P3/2 level observed with a submicron vapour cell. – Laser Physics, 2003, vol.13, No 12, pp.1467-1477.
- A.V.Papoyan, M.Auzinsh, K.Bergmann. Nonlinear Handle effects in Cs vapour under strong laser excitation. – Eur.Phys. J., D., 2002, vol.21, pp.63-71.
- M.Auzinsh, R.Ferber, O.Nikolayeva, N.Shafer-Ray, M.Tamanis. Influence of the Stark effect on the fluorescence polarization of X1 S ? B1? - state laser-excited NaRb: application to the direct imaging of electric fields. - J.of Phys. D: Applied Physics, 2001, vol.34, pp.624-630
- M.Auzinsh, L.Jayasinghe, L.Oelke, R.Ferber, N.Shafer-Ray. Strobe imaging of electric fields by depolarisation of Rydberg states of Hg. - J.of Phys. D: Applied Physics, 2001, vol.34, pp.1-6
- J.Alnis, M.Auzinsh. Angular Momentum spatial distribution symmetry breaking in Rb by a magnetic field. - Phys.Rev. A, 2001, vol.63, pp.023407
- Brian K. Kendrick, Lalith Jayasinghe, Steven Moser, Marcis Auzinsh. Neil Shafer-Ray, Observation of predicted resonance studies in the H + D2 -> HD (v’= 0, j’= 7) + D reaction at a collision energy of 0.94 eV. - Phys. Rev. Lett., 2000, vol.84, pp. 4325-
- Auzinsh M. The evolution and revival structure of angular momentum quantum wave packets (Tutorial). - Can.J.Phys., 77, pp.491-503 (1999)
- M.Auzinsh, R.Damburg. A Simple Formula for Ground State Energy of a Two-Electron Atom. - Latvian Journal of Physics and Technical Sciences, Nr. 5, pp.16 – 22 (1999)
- O. Nikolayeva, M.Auzinsh, M.Tamanis, R.Ferber. Electric field induced alignment – orientation conversion in diatomic molecules: analysis and observation for NaK. - J. Mol. Struct., 480 – 481, pp.283 – 287 (1999)
- M.Tamanis, M.Auzinsh, I.Klincare, O.Nikolayeva, R.Ferber, E.A.Pazyuk, A.V.Stolyarov, A.Zaitsevskii. NaK Lambda - doubling and permanent electric dipoles in low lying Pi states: experiment and theory. - Phys Rev. A, 58, pp.1932 – 1943 (1998)
- M.Tamanis, M.Auzinsh, I.Klincare, O.Nikolayeva, R.Ferber, O.Pazyuk, A.Stolyarov, A.Zaitsevskii. Lifetimes and transition dipole moment functions of NaK low lying states: empirical and ab initio approach. - J. Chem. Phys., 109, pp.6725 - 6735 (1998)
- M.Auzinsh. A single atom as quantum interferometer. - Latvian Journal of Physics and Technical Sciences Nr. 2, pp.39 - 50 (1998)
- K.Truhins, Zejad T. Al Wahabi, M.Auzinsh, Antony J. McCaffery. Polarization of emission in asymmetric rotors. I. The effect of elastic collisions, electron and nuclear spin. - J. Chem. Phys., vol. 106, pp.3477 - 3484 (1997)
- M.Tamanis, M.Auzinsh, I.Klincare, O.Nikolayeva, A.V.Stolyarov, R.Ferber. NaK D singled Pi electric dipole moment measurements by Stark level crossing and e-f mixing spectroscopy. - J. Chem. Phys., vol. 106, pp.2195 - 2205 (1997)
- M.Auzinsh. Angular momentum dynamics in magnetic and electric field: classical and quantum approaches.- Canadian Journal of Physics, 75, pp.853 – 872 (1997)
- M.Auzinsh, A.V.Stolyarov, M.Tamanis, R.Ferber. Magnetic field induced alignment - orientation conversion: Non-linear energy shift and predissociation in Te_2 B 1_u state.- J. Chem. Phys., vol.105, pp.37 - 49 (1996)
- M.Auzinsh, R.S.Ferber. Emergence of circularity at linear polarized excitation of molecules. - J. Chem. Phys., vol. 99 (8), pp.5742 - 5747 (1993)
- A.Stolyarov, I.P.Klincare, M.Ya.Tamanis, M.P.Auzinsh, R.S.Ferber. Rotational magnetic moments of the Na_2 molecule A singled Sigma_u state: Perturbation effects. - J. Chem. Phys., vol. 96 (5), pp.3510 - 3522 (1992)
- M.Auzinsh, R.S.Ferber. J-selective Stark orientation of molecular rotation in a beam. - Phys. Rev. Lett., vol. 69 (24), pp.3463 - 3466 (1992)
- M.Auzinsh, R.S.Ferber. Optical pumping of diatomic molecules in the electronic ground state: Classical and quantum approaches. - Phys. Rev. A, vol. 43 (5), pp.2374 - 2386 (1991)
- M.Auzinsh, R.S.Ferber. Optical polarisation of diatomic molecules. - Sov. Phys. Uspekhi, vol. 33 (10), pp. 833 - 861 (1990)
- M.Auzinsh, K.A.Nasyrov, M.Ya.Tamanis, R.S.Ferber, A.M.Shalagin. Determination of the ground-state Lande factor for diatomic molecules by beat-resonance method. - Chem. Phys. Lett., vol. 167 (1,2), pp.129 - 135 (1990)
- M.Auzinsh, K.A.Nasyrov, M.Ya.Tamanis, R.S.Ferber, A.M.Shalagin. Resonance of quantum beats in a system of magnetic sublevels of the electronic ground state of molecules. - Sov. Phys. JETP, vol. 65 (5), pp.891 - 897 (1987)
- M.Auzinsh, M.Ya.Tamanis, R.S.Ferber. Zeeman quantum beats after optical depopulation of the ground electronic state of diatomic molecules. - Sov. Phys. JETP, vol.63 (4), pp.688 - 693 (1986)
- M.Auzinsh, M.Ya.Tamanis, R.S.Ferber. Observation of quantum beats in the kinetics of the thermalization of diatomic molecules in the ground electronic state. - JETP Lett., vol. 42 (4), pp.160 - 163 (1985)
- M.Auzinsh, R.S.Ferber. Observation of quantum-beat resonance between magnetic sublevels with delta M = 4. - JETP Lett., vol. 39 (8), pp.452 - 455 (1984)
- M.Auzinsh, R.S.Ferber, I.Ya.Pirags. K_2 ground-state relaxation studies from transient process kinetics. - J. Phys. B, vol. 16, pp.2759 - 2771 (1983)
- M.Auzinsh, I.Ya.Pirags, R.S.Ferber, O.A.Shmit. Direct measurements of thermalisation rate of ground state of K_2 molecules. - JETP Lett., vol. 31 (10), pp.554 - 557 (1980)
- M.Auzinsh (Head of Project). Control of Collision and Radiation Dynamics in Atomic and Molecular Systems. Latvian Council of Science (2001 -2004)
- M.Auzinsh (Head of Project Nr 1977). Institute of Atomic Physics and Spectroscopy. Centre of Excellence for Basic Research in Nanoscale Physics and Applications. European Commission, Competitive and Sustainable Growth Programme. (2002-2005)
- M.Auzinsh (Head of Latvian Part of Project). State-to-State Energy Transfer Between Ultracold H2S Molecules. NATO Collaborative Linkage grant with University of Oklahoma (USA) and Israel Institute of Technology Technion (Israel) (2002 – 2004).
- M.Auzinsh (Head of Latvian Part of Project). Study and Application of High-Order Atomic and Molecular Polarization Moments. NATO Collaborative Linkage grant with University of California, Berkeley (USA) and Jagelonian University, Krakow (Poland). (2003-2005).
- M.Auzinsh (Head of Project). Coherent Processes in Atomic and Molecular Excitation with Laser Radiation. Latvian Council of Science (2005 -2008)
- M.Auzinsh (Head of Project). Study of Atomic Vapor Layers of Nanometric Thickness and Atom-surface Interaction. INTAS (2007-2008)
- M.Auzinsh (Head of Project). Development of New Atomic Clocks Using Coherent Population Trapping Resonances Excited by an Optical Frequency Comb. INTAS (2007-2008)