Faculty of Computing
The UL Faculty of Computing in cooperation with the UL Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science provides higher academic as well as professional education and conducts research in the fields of computer science and information technologies.
The higher education aims to support the development of computing industry by preparing highly skilled, export-capable employees for practical work in private companies and public institutions and by providing the computing industry with academically educated specialists and researchers.
The studies are organized in 4 levels based on the pyramid principle:
1. The college level prepares programmers and computer network administrators by offering knowledge and skills that correspond to the standards of the first level professional higher education;
2. The bachelor’s level requires mastering not only programming, but also designing and development of complex programme systems;
3. The master’s level where one learns to analyse and design large systems as well as manage projects;
4. The doctoral level prepares highest qualification specialists for the development of large and complex projects as well as for work in higher educational institutions.
The studies offer five education fields of computing (specializations):
- Computer science, including mathematical foundations of computer science;
- Information technologies, including the design and operation of computer networks and clusters;
- Software engineering, focusing on programming and software development, including embedded systems;
- Computer engineering, including the design and production of electronic equipment;
- Information systems, including the design and operation of databases and information systems.
The Faculty also trains IT teachers. Those, who have already obtained higher education in the programme of the second level professional higher education “IT teacher”, can obtain the second level professional higher education diploma and IT teacher’s qualification; however, secondary school graduates can study in the professional bachelor study programme “Natural Sciences and Information Technologies Teacher”, obtaining the bachelor’s diploma and two professional qualifications out of the following: biology teacher, natural sciences teacher, physics teacher, geography teacher, IT teacher and chemistry teacher.